Lincoln Hugh Mecham: A Birth Story

Lincoln Birth Story (12 of 8)

Yesterday marks one month since my little Nugget was born. Since newborns basically eat and sleep all day, I decided to share his birth story instead of talk about all his milestones. But, I will share that we have been successfully nursing. I am extremely happy about it! With his big brother it didn’t work out (he never figured out how to latch or even try to latch, very discouraging) so I was an exclusive pumper with him. I made it six months before my supply decreased greatly. To read why I think that happened click here. Okay, now on to the actual birth story.

We had an induction scheduled for August 13th because Andy and both our mothers work at schools and the first day of school for most was on or very close to my due date (August 20th). Since I would love to have the help of others adjusting to two children and recovering I was extremely grateful my doctor agreed to an induction. With Goober, I was completely unprepared for his birth. Read more here. So, I had basically everything ready to go, bags packed, schedules planned, baby sitters at the ready, almost a month before I was due. My doctor had me take progesterone shots from 20 weeks until 36 weeks to help Lincoln stay in and cook longer than 35 weeks. Even with the shots each week I just knew Lincoln would come early because his brother did too. Well I was completely wrong. Each day closer to the 13th I could tell he was sticking it out for the long haul.

On the 11th, I had my last appointment with my doctor and we went over what would happen with the induction. I was told to wait for the hospital to call tomorrow and let me know what time to come in. Well I never received a call on the 12th and my mother in law told me I should call them because they are probably really busy. So that night at around 10 PM I called the hospital to see when I needed to be ready. It turned out to be a pretty good thing that I called because they had me scheduled for 7 AM the next morning. AH! I was so not expecting that at all. I was basically panicking all night long. I maybe got 3 hours of sleep because I was too excited and nervous all at once. Around 5 AM I woke up and realized I had a lot of time to just sit and think, so I went into Goober’s room to watch him sleep and just relish in his last few moments as my only child.

We left the house around 6:45 AM to get to the hospital. I delivered at American Fork again because I loved it so much the first time. We arrived and got checked in. Once I was all ready to go they asked if I wanted to get started on the meds. I told them “Nope! I wanted to get the epidural first.” With Goober I was having very consistent contractions for four days before he was born and didn’t want to feel a thing with Nugget. So, round 9 AM the anesthesiologist came in and gave me the epidural. I was still super nervous because it really does hurt, but it went well and from there is was pretty calm. They started me on the meds and I was progressing okay. Then the doctor came to break my water and from there it went a little faster. Anytime I would lay on my left side, Lincoln’s oxygen levels got a little scary with the contractions. So they kept me on my right side for most of it. Around 2 PM they checked me again and said I was pretty close to 7 cm and 100% effaced. They rolled me back over to my left because my right side was completely numb. And I mean completely. I couldn’t move a muscle. With the contractions coming really close now and Lincoln still not doing well on that side they came back to move me again. Once I got situated I could feel crazy amounts of pressure and felt the need to push. Of course it wasn’t time yet so I called the nurse back in to check once more. In the process of rolling me over the last time Lincoln had made his way down really far and I had dilated to a 10. They immediately called for the doctor to come so we could finally meet our little guy.

It took her about a half hour to make it into my room. She got ready and a bunch of nurses came in as well. We were ready to push! So this was about 3:20/3:30 ish. I pushed during that next contraction and his head was out. The doctor told us the cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times. SCARY!! That explains all the crazy levels when I was on my left side. With each contraction, the cord got tighter. Boy am I grateful that we kept putting me back on my right. Then the next contraction came and I pushed a little bit and he was here! It’s crazy how fast it was. I was prepared for much longer. He was born at 3:33 PM. She laid him up on my tummy and Andy cut the cord. The nurses wiped him off some, put a little hat on his head, and laid a blanket over top of us. For a few minutes we admired him, then he was weighed and measured, and cleaned a little more. He weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces and was 18.5 inches long.

With Goober, I didn’t get to hold him for too long because he was so early and needed to be checked in the nursery for a lot of things. This time I was able to do skin to skin for about 2 hours. It was so incredible! Lincoln slept for most of it and Andy and I just admired his little features and sounds. It truly was so precious. Going into it we had the name picked out for a while. It was going to be Logan for a long time but then we saw Lincoln on a name list and immediately we both felt it was right. His middle name, Hugh, is my father’s middle name. I have 3 sisters and we are all married now so none of us have our family name anymore. Lincoln is the only second boy on my side of the family and I just felt it was perfect to name him after my father. So there you have it.

Lincoln Birth Story (7 of 8)

Lincoln Birth Story (6 of 8)

Lincoln Birth Story (9 of 8)

Lincoln Birth Story (5 of 8)

Lincoln Birth Story (8 of 8)

Lincoln Birth Story (10 of 8)

Lincoln Birth Story (11 of 8)

Thank you so much for reading! Over the last month I’ve been so blessed to have family and friends that have helped us out. Being the mother of two scared me a lot because I didn’ know how it would all work. It’s true what they say about the heart just growing to love more. I have been filled with love and joy for Parker and Lincoln like I never thought possible. I thank my Father in Heaven every day for the chance to be their mother. They are such a blessing to our family and I couldn’t be happier.


2 thoughts on “Lincoln Hugh Mecham: A Birth Story

  1. He is so adorable! I would love to hear about how you encorporated essential oils into your recovery and/or delivery. I am happy to hear that you both are doing well. 🙂

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s